I decided to give iCloud a go, so I did the following:
- Logged into iCloud on iPhone
- Logged into iCloud on Mac
The following happened:
- Calendar events were merged (that is, they were copied from iPhone to Mac, because I had no calendar events on Mac). So that was OK.
- My notes were left on each device, because judging from the GUI you manually control if they are local or iCloud. So that's OK too.
- Contacts were merged on Mac. All contacts disappeared on iPhone (they returned when I turned off "Contacts" in iCloud settings). Not good.
- All my reminders disappeared from Mac, so I panicked and turned off iCloud on Mac, and then back on. Some of the reminders appeared on both devices, but many were missing. Disaster!
I fear to touch anything now, afraid that I'll lose more data. My questions:
- How do I get contacts to show on iPhone (with "iPhone" turned on in iCloud settings?)
- Are the reminders on Mac lost, or how can I get them back? (I don't use Time Machine.)