I have just noticed some issues browsing my external music collection using Finder, certain artists folders were missing.
Going to iTerm and
lsing the folder I got this as the initial report:
ls Music ls: Maná: No such file or directory ls: Márta Sebestyén: No such file or directory ls: Motörhead: No such file or directory ls: Zoë Keating: No such file or directory
Note that the artists names use umlauts and Double acute accents.
This is a folder on a NAS box (ReadyNAS 204) via smb, I also have back up of the NAS running Ubuntu access via CIFS.
Using Finder on OS X El Capitan neither the NAS or backup show these folders. However using Yosemite I can see the Artists folder but the albums are missing.
Logging in directly to the boxes all files appear to be intact and SONOS can still play them!
Has some thing changed in OS X, I used max to rip these from CD's (Snow Leopard) so I had to be able to handle the files at some point ‽
NB: ‽ is an interrobang
Update with a little more info
Using rsync from the Mac to copy music on to USB (OS X Extended format) drive I see things like:
rsync -av --iconv=utf8-mac,utf8 /Volumes/share/Music/ /Volumes/usbdisk/Music/ file has vanished: "/Volumes/share/Music/.../Márta Sebestyén" file has vanished: "/Volumes/share/Music/.../Maná" file has vanished: "/Volumes/share/Music/.../Zoë Keating" file has vanished: "/Volumes/share/Music/.../Rammstein-2005-Rosenrot-07-Zerstören.flac"
ssh'ing on to Ubuntu server and using convmv as described here:
cd /mnt/Music convmv -r -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 .
It returns :
Starting a dry run without changes... Skipping, already UTF-8: ./Márta Sebestyén Skipping, already UTF-8: ./Maná Skipping, already UTF-8: ./Michael Bublé Skipping, already UTF-8: ./Zoë Keating Skipping, already UTF-8: ./Rammstein/1999-Live aus Berlin/Rammstein-1999-Live aus Berlin-10-Bück dich.flac Skipping, already UTF-8: ./Rammstein/1999-Live aus Berlin/Rammstein-1999-Live aus Berlin-03-Weißes Fleisch.flac No changes to your files done. Use --notest to finally rename the files.
It looks like the main files having issues are already utf-8 but note the file "Rammstein-2005-Rosenrot-07-Zerstören.flac" that rsync had issue with is not listed in the above report.
I also used brew to install the latest vesion of rsync 3+ rather than the 2.6 version that is used be default.
brew tap homebrew/dupes brew install rsync
And then edit /private/etc/paths to put /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin
Trying out AFP
Enabling AFP on Ready NAS (OS 6.4.2), well this was a little freaky for me. Structure is
Artist/Album/Tracks.flac. Artists are there, album was there, expand the album to see tracks the Artists folder disappeared.
[global] dos charset = CP1252 unix charset = UTF-8