My 13'' MacBook Pro 2010 running Yosemite suddenly stopped booting today. After I press the power button, I can hear the chime and the computer proceed to go to a blank gray screen immediately. The screen has no apple logo or loading bar.
What I tried as of now:
- Booting in recovery by holding CMD+R -- no effect, blank screen
- Booting in single-user mode by holding CMD+S -- no effect, blank screen
- Booting in verbose mode by holding CMD+V -- no effect, blank screen
- Booting in safe mode by holding Shift -- no effect, blank screen
- Booting in hardware diagnosis mode by holding D -- no effect, blank screen
- Resetting PRAM by holding CMD+ALT+P+R -- reboots, chime again and then blank screen (from this I deduced that the keyboard actually works)
- Resetting SMC by holding Shift+Alt+Control while pressing the power button, then pressing the power button alone -- no effect, blank screen
- Choosing another booting drive or recovery partition by holding Alt -- no effect, blank screen
Is there something else I could try to get past this gray screen and try other recovery procedures?
EDIT: placing another hard drive in the macbook made it boot properly, so the issue doesn't lie in the rest of the hardware. Now can I recover the data on the malfunctioning drive?