Is it OK to downgrade 10.7.1 Client to 10.7 using the original version 1.0.4 of Install Mac OS X Lion.app?
Either type of downgrade to be followed by updates. These questions focus on:
- the period during which a downgraded system runs.
(Installation to a clean volume, without downgrade may be preferable, but that's a separate discussion.)
Version 1.0.4 of the installer recognises that something more recent than 10.7 (Build 11A511) is running, but:
- does not caution the user against downgrade
- does not create
Install Mac OS X Lion.app 1.0.4 for Mac OS X 10.7 (Build 11A511) appeared in the Mac App Store on 20th July 2011. Following advice from Apple, some users set aside a copy of version 1.0.4.
Install Mac OS X Lion.app 1.0.8 for Mac OS X (Build 11B26) appeared in the Store on 23rd August. If a copy of 1.0.4 is found, the Store routine may update that copy to 1.0.8.
- between 16th and 23rd August, 1.0.8 was not an option
- some users may be unaware of 1.0.8
- some users are aware of 1.0.8 but prefer to retain and reuse 1.0.4 (to install 10.7 instead of 10.7.1, then update).