There is this nifty little help input field, which I use often as a new Mac user to find the right menu options. It says Command + Shift + ? is the keyboard shortcut to get there, even in the German Apple help pages.

What happens on my German keyboard with German OSX settings is that I already have to press the shift key to get to the question mark. Thus: When I do that, I get the help (Command + ?), not the help input field.

What's the keyboard shortcut to get to the help input field?

  • Is this in all apps, or just some? I think that ? is on a shift key in most languages, it's never a single key-press. On a German keyboard it's on shift ß, English it's shift /
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Mar 21, 2016 at 8:19
  • @tetsujin He's talking about the Finder. The German keyboard brings up a different thing than the US keyboard, even in the OS in English. Probably a bug. Commented Mar 21, 2016 at 13:00
  • ah, ok @TomGewecke - was just a thought, but my knowledge on non-English keyboards isn't great. Thanks for the correction.
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Mar 21, 2016 at 13:04
  • I am actually talking about all apps. Do you English keyboard guys end up in the input field when pressing cmd + shift + / ?
    – Sandro
    Commented Mar 24, 2016 at 9:25

1 Answer 1


By pure chance I found my answer through this post, which is about remapping shortcuts via the settings menu

How do I remove the 'Quit' action from an application on OSX

The general settings, which describes the help menu shortcut

You have to use Cmd + Shift + / to get to the input field! (probably similar for the non German speakers out there)


  • Is that the same as Cmd + Shift + 7 on a German keyboard? Commented Mar 25, 2016 at 13:00
  • Yeap, it is indeed
    – Sandro
    Commented Mar 28, 2016 at 5:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .