Update 2: Fixed in iOS 9.3.1
My Safari on iOS 9.2.1 (update: and now 9.3) won’t open most links anymore, i.e. tapping on a link on a page does not do anything. Worse, other apps like Messages, Chrome are having issues when they try to open URL/Links.
The common issue is pauses when tapping links and even Mobile Safari tap and hold (to get the app open a link in a new tab), the device freezes and eventually crashes.
- Looking at the html source for the links causing issues, it seems all scheme absolute links are affected (e.g.
http://example.com/something), while relative links work (e.g.
- This makes me think third party registration of URL handlers (or what they are called) is related to the bug
- All apps that can open links, such as Mail or Spark, are affected. Tapping a link freezes the device. Tap & hold and then selecting copy link, switch to Safari or Chrome and paste URL sometimes helps/works.
- It happens mostly on Google and DuckDuckGo result pages. On some other pages it works.
I tried things to rule out a simple setting error:
- disable all content blockers
- delete website data from Safari (in preferences app)
- kill all apps, restart iOS.
- Tried Chrome, and it doesn't work there on simple taps, but tap and hold works, and I can open them in a new tab at least.
My conclusion is that this bug relates to iOS 9.2 and third party app updates triggering bad behavior, I saw constant crashes of the
swdc process in my iPhone logs and I reported a bug with Apple. Suspect apps include:
Is there a way to list these apps that change link handling so I can selectively uninstall them?