This has been going on for a week or 2. Restarting seems to help because WindowServer is blowing up. But the problem keeps coming back.
- Macbook Air mid-2012, 8GB RAM, 2ghz i7
- Yosemite 10.10.5
- Chrome 49
Some symptoms that recently popped up:
- Page scrolling in Chrome is laggy. Turning off GPU acceleration in Chrome fixes the problem
- Typing this question in Chrome is laggy as it updates the preview text below
- Switching tabs in Chrome is laggy
- Page scrolling in Safari is not laggy
- Switching applications in OSX (command+tab) is laggy
- WindowServer likes to consume CPU (mostly solved by disabling Little Snitch menu bar, but it's still using decent CPU from time to time)
- Activity Monitor says that WindowServer is currently using 35GB memory. (!?)
CPU usage is generally low and memory usage is currently 7GB.