I have an old MacBook and im trying to connect it to a new TV, I have a mini DVI port but can't find adapters for it. Is mini DVI and DVI the same thing? I'm looking for some kind of adapter to HDMI port. Thanks!


Monoprice sells a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter (as well as other Mini-DVI adapters). http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=4852

Mini-DVI and DVI are the same electronically, but the mini connector is much smaller and a regular cable will not fit.


Mini DVI and DVI are electrically the same but different physical connectors. Mini-DVI was never a standard, and only was found on Apple hardware until it was replaced with MiniDP. Apple made an adapter that lets you plug in a full-size DVI cable but they haven't produced a computer with this plug in many years so the adapter is no longer available from them, and I don't believe anyone other than Apple ever used the mini-DVI connector so it's not a common cable others would manufacture. You should be able to find an old one online somewhere.

I don't know if there was ever a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter because HDMI wasn't yet common when these laptops were produced, but being electrically identical to standard DVI it should be possible to use a mini-DVI->DVI adapter + DVI->HDMI adapter.

  • first place i looked had the exact cable the OP needed – samh Jan 29 '16 at 19:18
  • @samh your link is broken, at least on my phone, but anyway that wasn't really the question. – ghostly_s Jan 29 '16 at 22:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .