No, you need disk or USB stick to install it.
Why can't you use a USB stick? If that's because you can't buy it from Apple Store, you could use any 8GB+ stick to install drive.
It's very simple, you only need an
Install OSX *version*.app file and a USB stick.
- Plug it into your MacBook
- Open Disk Utility (Launchpad -> Other)
- Choose your stick in left hand side (It should be under
- Click on Erase button at top
GUID Partition Map under
OS X Extended (Journaled) under
Format, and name it
OSXInstall (You can give it any name, but you'll need to change terminal commands too)
Click on Erase
Get OSX Installer App
For El Capitan open this link, and download it (You may need to click on
View in Mac App Store
You do not need to install it, just download.
Create bootable installer
- Be sure to check that stick is plugged in and shows up in Finder.
- If you have no password, set it temporarily
- Open Terminal app (Launchpad -> Other)
Copy and paste this text into Terminal and hit Return:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OSXInstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction
Type you password (It would be hidden, and cursor would not move)
- Now just wait till it says
To boot from the installer stick, hold down the Option key during Mac system start, and select it from the startup volume menu.