I will have to transfer my user account and some other stuff to a new mac and I am currently considering what would be the most efficient way of doing that. The list of things I would like and wouldn't like to transfer is below:
- Current user documents
- Photos / Music
- Address book, preferences settings
- Precisely defined list of applications
- plus corresponding application preference folders
Not to transfer
- The whole content of the user folder as I have things that I do not need there. Like bin folder with some old stuff, Virtual Boxes, etc.
What's the best strategy to approach this problem?
- Clean current account leaving only stuff to transfer? I'm thinking that no matter what I do they will be orphans from software left. Also in the course of years, I made mess using homebrew and macports in the same time, instaling various python frameworks, etc.
- Install new clean account and copy selected things by hand. If this is better, how to efficiently copy selected application with corresponding preference folders?