I have a home network with the following components and network capabilities.
- AirPort Express (A1264): 802.11a/b/g/Draft N = ?
- Mac Mini 2011: 802.11n = 54-600 Mbit/s
- MacBook Air 2014: 802.11ac = < 1 Gbit/s
When copying files between the Mini and the Air (using rsync over ssh) I get maximum transfer speeds of about 1 MByte/s, which is a major disappointment.
Actually, I get better download speeds from the Internet (2.5 MByte/s, limited by my type of broadband subscription) than between the two Macs.
I assume the Express is the major bottleneck, however my questions around this are as follows:
- What could possibly explain the ridiculously slow transfer speed of 1 MByte/s?
- Can the speed be improved by software adjustments? (I have the latest firmware)
- What is the maximum speed of the Express, given the "Draft N" specification?
- If I buy the newest Express with 802.11ac, what kind of speed can I expect?
- If I also buy the newest Mini with 802.11ac, what kind of speed can I expect?
- Is there anything else non-evident that would get in the way of optimal speeds?