I wanted to erase the 3 TB Fusion HD on my iMac in order to install a clean system and start from scratch. The erase went fine except right at the end when it said something about core storage... (which I failed to capture, sorry)... and now the machine behaves as though the drive only sort of half exists.
- There is no 'sub-disk' when I look with Disk Utility - i.e., there is no indented drive listed below "Macintosh HD"
- The "Erase" tab is absent in Disk Utility
- All partition options are greyed out in Disk Utility
- I can boot in Recovery Mode, but I can't reinstall OS X because there is no drive available - it asks me to select a disk, but no disks are listed
- diskutil sees the drive fine (screenshots below)
In case it's not clear from the images, distil cs list shows:
Logical Volume Group C970ADA-0D05-42AA-9E9C-403ED0E5335 Name: Macintosh HD Status: Online (3.1Tb) Physical Volume 7DAE3935-D0AD-42AE-AE2A-F6001F09187 Index: 0 Disk: disk0s2 (120Gb) Physical Volume BA37C009-F93C-4EAF-9EF3-9C19772BD91C Index: 1 Disk: disk1s2 (3Tb)
diskutil list shows: