I don't have a Wi-Fi connection here. Is there a way to connect to the internet from my iMac with my iPod touch?
You can share you internet connection via Wi-Fi in the "Sharing" preference pane of System preferences. Once activated, your iPod touch will detect a Wi-Fi network that you can join to share the internet connection of your iMac.
(if you're on Lion, replace "Airport" by "Wi-Fi")
- Open System preferences
- Click on "Sharing"
- Click on "Internet sharing" (but don't check the checkbox yet)
- Select "Ethernet" in the dropdown menu "Share your connection from"
- Check "Airport" in the list "via"
- Click "Airport options" to configure wireless network security
- Check the checkbox in front of "Internet sharing" in the list on the left to activate it.
- If Airport is turned off, it'll ask you if it can turn it on, say yes.
- Connect to the created network with you iPod touch as you would do for any wireless network.