I am running Yosemite and experiencing very nasty freezing issues. Once I was able to recover from by reinstalling osx and second time (few months later) reinstalling alone didn't help, but also downgrading user from Admin rights did.
Here are the symptoms:
- freezing applications, wheel mouse icon, occurring every 30 seconds or so and lasting about the same time.
- CPU usage is near zero. Idle ~97%
- ran opensnoop, but it didn't correlate to frezing
- once freeze occurs, 'top' any Activity Monotor do not show any activity - they freeze too. But, after freeze ends, I can see the spike in CPU activity. Activity Monitor replays the past events in a fast-forward kind of way, at 10x speed. But there is no way to tell what activity transpired. System was frozen.
- it feels like 1/4 of one core of cpu is actually being used for OS itself.
- no hardware issues were discovered with AHT.
- Safe mode had no impact.
In the screenshot bellow, there is a blimp in CPU usage. That's the freeze. Sometimes they happen for longer, sometimes shorter duration.
I know it's relatively vague problem description, but I would like to hear some theories on what this could be. And if it happens again, how to actually pin point to the process that is causing it.