I have an existing 1T USB drive (disk5 in the screenshot). I formatted another 1T USB drive (disk4) and starts to rsync files from disk5 to disk4.
Near the end (the current state in the screenshot) I still have 100+G of files that I'm unable to copy to disk4.
From the screenshot, there are still about 250K files and 26 folders not copied over to disk4. Yet disk4 has less free disk space.
Based on finder, the size of the uncopied files is 110G.
Things I that tried:
- empty Trash
- run rsync with --delete
disk4 is essentially a "rsync -a" backup of disk5, what cause the huge discrepancy in disk space?
Anything else I can do or missed?
Based on hunch, I did the following.
- reformatted disk4 again
- using Finder, first copy some folders with huge files (VM images)
- after the above copy completed, copy rest of folders
All files fits into disk4 this time!
I'm not sure, which of these fix it.
- copying large files first
- not using rsync
- none of the above
Here's the Information for both drives after the above Update.
- Used space is almost the same (0.18G less in disk4)
- 36203 files more reported in disk5
- 27 folders more reported in disk5
"rsync -av" did not report any more files to sync.
I guess Apple is hiding some files.