I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and I've tried just about everything I can think of to fix this. The problem is that I can't hear anything out of my headphone jack. I can set it to input instead of output and I can input audio just fine, but it refuses to output (yes, I'm using the proper "Use audio port for:" settings.) I can get normal output from the mac speakers.
I can't remember having this problem before. The only difference is that I just moved into my college dorm. There was nothing abnormal about the move; put my laptop in its case, headed about 10 miles from my house, and I was there. Here's what I've tried:
- Resetting the PRAM
- Everything in System Pref>Sound
- Changing bit rate in Audio MIDI Setup
- Jiggling a toothpick into the audio port (No, I don't have the red light problem)
- Taking out, putting to sleep, plugging in, and waking up
- Trying my headphones with something else
- Sacrificing a new-born child
And still nothing works. Any other suggestions that I haven't thought of would be appreciated!