I’m running iOS 8.3 (12F70) on an iPhone 5S. This is an off-the-shelf device that has only ever been used with public releases; there’s never been any mucking around with developer betas or similar. But I have a bug that was giving me real headaches.
If I launch Safari, and start typing into the search/URL field, the app crashes within about four characters, and dumps me back to the home screen.
I’ve tried many different things to try to cure this:
- Kill Safari from the app switcher
- Reboot my iPhone (both normal and a hard reset)
- Change all my settings related to autofill, default search engine, etc. back to the defaults
- Disable all the iCloud-related Safari features, and delete my iCloud data from the device
- Look for crash logs on the device by hooking up to my Mac, and using Xcode. No joy.
- Clear Safari’s website data.
- Freeing space on the device (I was running quite low)
But whatever I do, Safari still crashes. This issue has been plaguing me for a week, and I can’t find anybody else on Google who’s having the same problem.
What should I do?