An odd one here:
- Encrypted iTunes backup
- backup completed successfully
- Key stored in the Keychain (since the first backup of this device a long while ago)
- Also stored in PasswordSafe and both keys match so I'd say I have the proper key.
- Trying to restore, iTunes asks for the password, but "fills it in" - and then complains of the password not being valid!
- I've tried typing the password -- actually typing all the "iPhone Backup" passwords for the rest of the family's devices in my keychain - and the result is the same!!
I absolutely need to recover some of the data in the backup (i.e., family pictures not stored elsewhere) so I'm looking for info on how the actual data is encrypted hoping I might try "raw decryption" on the content.
Given how fast the "not valid" response is, I'm hoping iTunes is trying to decrypt some metadata file and failing -- but that it might be possible to get to the pictures themselves.
Thanks a lot in advance for any pointers!?
P.S.: This also makes me worry about the reliability of the backups I have of the other devices; I've opened another question about this - How to verify that an iTunes backup is valid?.