I have a problem with creating home folders on the server for network accounts. The goal is to share the same files on multiple devices. A quick overview of what I do:
- I go to the Server.app.
- I create a folder (in my case on /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Network Users).
- I enable the File Sharing service.
- I add the /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Network Users as a shared folder.
- Once added, I edit it and make sure it is able to be used for home folders (AFP).
- I create a new network account and set his/her home folder location to 'Network Users'.
When I try to log in on a device (in my case a MacBook Pro), it gives me the following error saying I can't login:
You are unable to login to the user account "williamdedwards" at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred.
I am 100% sure that this is related to the permissions. When I add my user account manually and give it Read/Write access to the 'Network Users' folder, it used to work (not anymore, I still get the same error now). When I set the home folder to 'Local', I can login and everything is fine.
I also came to this conclusion with Apple Support.
What am I doing wrong here?