The built-in keyboard of my Macbook Pro started acting weird. I only started to have this problem around last week. I thought upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.3 would remove the issue but it still exists.
- Pressing the Enter/Return key OR Right-Shift triggers the "Shift-Enter" combo.
- Pressing the Escape key is now increasing the brightness of my display.
- Pressing the F1 key decreases the brightness AND decreasing my volume.
- Pressing the F2 key increases the brightness AND triggers the Escape key.
- Pressing the F5 key decreases the keyboard light AND inputs "-" and vice versa.
- Pressing the F6 key increases the keyboard light AND inputs "/" and vice versa.
- Pressing the F7 key inputs ";".
- Pressing the F8 key enters a new line or triggers the Enter key (?)
- Pressing the F9 key inputs "\".
- Pressing F11 key decreases my volume and brightness.
Using an external keyboard doesn't seem to have a problem. I tried doing a PRAM and SMC reset but to no avail. Tried also changing the keyboard preferences like restoring to the default settings, removing extra keyboard layouts I use for work and using the function keys as standard function keys. I tried installing Karabiner keymap tool hoping to disable some keys but it still triggers some of the weird behaviour the keys mysteriously adapted so I uninstalled it.
The problem did go away two days ago (I have no idea how. I was just doing work research and the keys started working normally) but unfortunately, after turning it back on today for another day of work, the problem came back.
Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? Is it most likely a hardware or a software problem?