I'm using the
/etc/resolver technique for a
dev domain as explained in some blog posts around the web (like this one).
I used this technique previously on 10.9, but on my new Yosemite there seems to be one small problem: the TLD itself, i.e
dev, does not seem to be resolved by the custom DNS. In other words on 10.9 both
*.dev would be passed to dnsmasq and resolved correctly, but on Yosemite this only happens for
dev is resolved by something else to an address other than the one configured in dnsmasq.
I know dnsmasq works properly:
# host dev localhost Using domain server: Name: localhost Address: 127.0.0.1#53 Aliases: dev has address 127.0.0.1
# ping -c 1 dev PING dev (127.0.53.53): 56 data bytes ^C --- dev ping statistics --- 1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss # ping -c 1 a.dev PING a.dev (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.035 ms --- a.dev ping statistics --- 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0.0% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.035/0.035/0.035/0.000 ms
I know I can just add
dev itself to
/etc/hosts, since it's the only one that doesn't work it not a big deal. However I'd like to know if I did something wrong and if I can achieve the same behaviour I had previously on 10.9.