I bought my Mac in Spain. I cannot find change keyboard type in Keyboard preferences. I have set to English language but many keys are physically different.

How do I change the physical layout of the keyboard to standard British keyboard?

  • 1
    You want to change the actual physical buttons? Why didn't you just buy your Mac in the UK then? lol. Also I guess you can pull them off and replace them with english mac keys, but ermm... may not work well.
    – Dan
    Apr 27, 2015 at 12:26
  • This may help: dotkam.com/2011/01/04/edit-keyboard-layout-on-mac
    – Dan
    Apr 27, 2015 at 12:29
  • Thanks Dan. Will try Ukelete. I bought the Mac in Spain because I have a home here.
    – Hans Snook
    Apr 28, 2015 at 13:11
  • Ah fair enough. Hope that helps :)
    – Dan
    Apr 28, 2015 at 14:21

2 Answers 2


OS X includes an British keyboard layout that you can switch to under Settings > Keyboard > Input Sources. If you hit the + button and search for British it'll come up. That'll give you Apple's version of a British keyboard layout.

If you'd like British to match a PC's keyboard, there's a second Apple mapping named British - PC. This'll put the @ and | symbols where they should be in that layout.

You might find that Apple's British - PC keyboard mapping isn't quite right, as because their British keyboards aren't laid out as a typical British (BS4822) keyboard is. There's a great solution for this with a custom keyboard mapping. The one I linked there works like a charm.


Besides using the UK-English keyboard layout get some replacement stickers and stick them carefully on your Spanish keyboard.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .