My wife finds that her iPhone constantly reminds her of google calendar events (accessed via the exchange trick). None of the google events have reminders enabled. The phone preferences don't ask for reminders. Yet reminders she gets.
This is actually a default setting by Google that can be changed. To change this setting
- Go to your Google Calendar settings found in the top right under the gear icon.
- Select the Calendar tabs
- Click the Shared: Edit settings link for the calendar you want to edit.
- Select the Notifications tab
- Click the remove link next to the reminders you don't want.
Please note that this will only fix events created from this point forward, you will still have to change all the notifications in events that were previously setup.
There is a setting on your iPhone for calendar notifications you can turn off:
- Open Settings.
- Go to Notifications.
- Go to Calendar.
- Go to Shared Calendar Changes.
- Turn off all the notifications here.
Go to Google on your iPhone (Google App), and the first story that has the hamburger menu (3 stacked dots), click it and choose Customize Google Now. You can then turn off various things. For example, I have no interest in Sports so I turn off these notifications.