My wife's iPhone 4 just died: it won't turn on and doesn't charge. It's basically a brick right now. She needs to recover the photos on it. Is there any way to recover this from the iTunes backup files?
If the backup is on a Mac then the free/donationware iPhone/iPod Touch Backup Extractor can help you with this.
- Download and extract the application.
- Click "Read Backups" and it should give you a list of available device backups with time stamps of the last time they were backed up.
- Select your wife's backup and click "Choose".
- Select "iOS Files" and click "Extract".
- You'll be prompted for a place to save the extracted files. Select one and click "Extract here".
- Once the extract is complete a Finder window should pop up. Open the folders Media, then DCIM and you should find your wife's photos in one or more folders called things like 100APPLE.
If you have backed up to your computer previously, you can use iExplorer to do that sort of thing.