I have a 17" iMac that I want to hook-up a 2nd monitor to. I bought an adaptor on eBay, but the plug does not match the back of my computer. It's not a Thunderbolt or FireWire. Not sure what kind of adaptor I need or what it is called. I have a photo, but not sure how to post it here.

  • Just post the photo anywhere online and copy/paste the link to it in your question – soulshined Feb 11 '15 at 21:43
  • Check the specification! It's on Apple's website somewhere! – Shane Hsu Feb 12 '15 at 3:35
  • 17" iMac could be anything from 2002 to late 2006. As Dan J stated, it could be a mini-DVI or mini-VGA adapter that you need. Supplying the Model Identifier from System Info would be MOST helpful. – Trane Francks Feb 12 '15 at 10:13

Unless you bought a very old iMac, its external display port is most likely mini-DVI. If you have something as old as a G4 (the "desk lamp"-looking iMacs), it may be a mini-VGA port. A helpful resource for identifying your model and seeing details of its capabilities is everymac.com - those are the only options I see for any of the 17-inch iMac models.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .