Static electricity can exert incredibly high voltages (upward of a thousand volts) which can zap sensitive equipment. Hence, all videos that explain opening up your Mac feature some form of exhortation to first touch the heater or something. But how do you actually keep statics to a minimum?
Do you have to touch the heather/an earthed part every two minutes, every three?
Also, I have seen here http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1256310.html that it may be a good idea for UK folks to switch off the wall jack but leave the cord plugged in to take advantage of the earthing. Would that avoid all static electricity?
Also, how about a wooden desk? Is that an appropriate surface to conduct MacBook surgery?
Thanks so much!