I have a spreadsheet which contains a mixture of text strings and empty cells. I'm looking for a formula to replace the value of all non-empty cells with a single character 'x', while leaving empty cells blank.
Here are a few hints:
- use an auxiliary column;
- use functions ISBLANK and IF;
- replicate the auxiliary column within the original one;
- remove the auxiliary column.
Using Daniel's tips I've come up with this solution:
- Create an auxiliary column
Add the formula:
Copy formula to all rows.
- Overwrite original column with values from auxiliary column.
This isn't an ideal solution as I need to apply it individually to around 20 different columns. If anyone knows a way to do this without using an auxiliary column I'd be interested to hear it.