My MacBook Pro boots to the hated gray screen.
Things I have tried to fix this include:
- Booting with CMD-R (boots to a grey screen)
- Resetting the PRAM (boots to a grey screen)
- Resetting SMC (boots to a grey screen)
- Booted in target disk mode. Able to enter but unable to attach to other devices.
- Attempted to boot from an install disk but all I get is the grey screen
- Attempted to boot in Safe Mode. This gets about half way and then fails.
CMD-V on boot shows last posted messages as:
SMCREADKEYACTION ERROR SMCREADDATA 8 FAILED considerRebuildOFPRelinkeKernel prebuilt rebuild has expired
- Tried booting to Mavericks Install Pen Drive (same errors in the verbose mode)
I can boot into single user mode. I suspect I need to run the SMC update but I can't get into an OS to run it. Perhaps I've got a firmware bug/virus?
This is a 2008 MacBook Pro A1260 MacBookPro4,1