I've got a 13" Retina MacBook Pro and an NEC PA241W 2560x1440 monitor. What adapters do I need to connect them at full resolution?

2 Answers 2


Mini Display Port to Display Port.


Thunderbolt is in effect Display Port plus more functionality.


Just get a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. From there, use a DVI cable to connect to the monitor.

  • why? When the MBP has Thunderbolt/mini DP already & the monitor has DP already. What's the point of paying 30 bucks for an adapter plus however much for a cable when all you need is a cable?
    – Tetsujin
    Dec 19, 2014 at 17:51
  • I was not aware it had a DP connection. 99% of the monitors out there have VGA/DVI inputs, and a number of them contain HDMI inputs as well. Also, Eric doesn't mention if he already has a DP cable or a DVI cable. If he has a DVI cable, my solution works. If he has a DP cable, your solution works. That said, was a downvote truly necessary? Dec 19, 2014 at 18:06
  • I don't want to get into any argument over it. I did some research, posted my answer, you didn't, & posted a more expensive answer; hence my downvote. The monitor ships with 3 cables - necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa241w-bk?type=support
    – Tetsujin
    Dec 19, 2014 at 18:28
  • Thanks very much! My monitor does in fact have a displayport input, so it looks like the mini DP to DP solution will be less expensive than mini DP to DVI. And thank you for explaining that a thunderbolt output is just mini DP enhanced. That's very useful.
    – Eric G
    Dec 19, 2014 at 19:22
  • BTW, I would have voted you both up, but I'm brand new on this site and I need 15 reputation to vote up!! Thanks again.
    – Eric G
    Dec 19, 2014 at 19:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .