I'm traveling to China and would like to use my iPhone there. I would not like to pay AT&T's crazy and predatory charges. What should I do? I don't have much time and want something low on the 'things can go wrong' scale. Oh, and I have a dinosaur 3G, and a 4G.

  • 1
    People's Republic of China (communist china) or Republic Of China (Taiwan)?
    – user6124
    Jun 16, 2011 at 1:57
  • People normally refer to the PRC as "China" and the ROC as "Taiwan".
    – abc905
    Nov 23, 2011 at 1:53

2 Answers 2


You can turn on airplane mode, but enable WiFi (Or you could get an iPad with only WiFi), then make calls through FaceTime, or Skype equivalent.

Impossible that you could be charged, but you would have to be near a Wi-Fi source for it to be useful.


Turn off Cellular Network, 3G and Data roaming. You can still use regular telephone calling and texting.

If you find WiFi you can use Whatsapp or iMessage for texting, and Viber or Skype for calling.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .