Since updating to Yosemite, whenever I plug headphones into my MBP, it selects Soundflower as the default output device. I then have to manually change it everytime. Anyone know why this is happening, or how to fix it? Also, I can't get rid of Soundflower for some reason.
First of all, I'll address the how to uninstall Soundflower problem:
A number of people have run into problems uninstalling it in the past. The main problem seems to be that you have to reboot your machine after running the uninstaller but if that doesn't work for you try removing it from the Audio MIDI setup.
Open Audio MIDI Setup in the utilities folder and look for Soundflower listed there, select it and click the minus near the bottom left to remove it.
Now that you've removed Soundflower, you need to set the headphones as your default output device:
- Connect your headphones
- Open System Preferences and Open the "Sound" panel
- Go to the "Output" tab
- Select your headphones here
- Close system preferences
Your system should now default to the headphones whenever you plug them in.
If you run into further problems, you can try a couple of advanced steps:
- Open Finder and in the "Go" menu, select "Go to Folder..."
- Type ~/Library/Preferences and click Go
- Locate two files called com.apple.systempreferences.plist and com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist and move them both to the trash
- Reboot your computer
- If you're still having problems reset PRAM by rebooting again and holding command-option-p-r as soon as your computer boots up, keep holding until your computer restarts again and you hear the startup chime.
Follow all the above steps from the beginning of this post and one of them should solve your problem, make sure you check each time if your headphones are now working by default.
Uninstall Soundflower. There should be an uninstaller located at:
Run it, enter your password, and reboot (very important). If it's not there, upgrade Soundflower first here.
EDIT: You can set your default audo device by going to /Applications/Utilities and opening
Audio MIDI Setup. Select the device you want to use, click the gear, and then
Use this device for sound output.
Restart the computer, select the output device you want, restart again, then look in System Preferences again to see if it saved as the setting you previously had.