I'm not sure if this is a global OS X setting or per-app implementation of an Apple API. Anyway, is it possible (specifically on Google Chrome) to disable that visual "spring effect" (I don't know how to call it) that we have on Mavericks when scrolling up/down or swipe right/left and we reach the boundaries of the page?

I mean this one:

enter image description here

  • I do not believe so. It's intended as visual feedback that you have reached an edge of the scrollable area.
    – tubedogg
    Oct 27, 2014 at 20:00
  • It seems to interfere with my custom gesture (bettertouchtools) when I swipe left/right with two fingers. It shows me this effect when in fact I want to have another behavior
    – Leonardo
    Oct 27, 2014 at 20:05

2 Answers 2


In the past, it was possible to disable the so-called rubber band effect by using this little command in terminal:

defaults write -g NSScrollViewRubberbanding -int 0

To revert the changes you used:

defaults delete -g NSScrollViewRubberbanding

You need to restart the apps to see the changes (or reboot the whole system).

Alas, I am no longer sure if it works. I tried it on Yosemite, but it seems to be obsolete now. Worth giving a shot, though!


The option is in accessibility settings. You don't need to use the terminal. There's a post about it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1200918

  • Hi Welcome to AskDiffernt, you may want to summarise the link you posted, that way if the link ever stops working your answer still stands alone.
    – Deesbek
    Apr 4, 2015 at 3:56
  • This isn't quite the same thing. The option in accessibility lets you toggle "inertia", which affects whether scrolling continues after the relevant input (double-fingered swipe on a touchpad) stops. If inertia is turned off, but you are at the top or bottom of a page in a browser, it will still "scroll past the end of the page" as long as you are actively swiping up/down.
    – Kirk Boyer
    Nov 2, 2015 at 23:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .