I have recently acquired a refurbished iPad 1 WiFi + 3G. Straight out of the box it wouldn't boot up at all. No logo, or anything.
Upon plugging the device into the AC power charger, the Apple logo blinks on and off every 5-10 seconds.
When connected to a PC or Mac via USB, the Apple logo does not appear however, you can see the backlight lighting up & turning off every 2-3 seconds.
I can set it into DFU mode when connected to iTunes, and iTunes detects the device and offers Restore mode (to iOS 5 - iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw), which I have already downloaded from the official Apple IPSW repo.
After selecting the IPSW and initiating the restore, the following happens:
- Extracting Software -> Progress bar completes quickly - Verifying iPad restore with apple -> Progress bar completes quickly - Preparing iPad for restore -> Progress bar completes quickly - Verifying iPad restore with apple -> Progress bar completes quickly At some point in this process, I hear the "USB disconnected" sound. It's at this point that I figure things have failed out. - Verifying iPad restore with apple -> Progress bar sits at 0% for more than 4 minutes then shows the following error: "The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1602)"
Things I've already tried:
- Different USB cables
- Disonnected all other USB cables
- Tried different USB ports
- Attempted restore a bunch of times
- Uninstalled AV and Firewall software
- Made sure no other phone software was installed
I've also played the game where you hit the sleep and home buttons the minute the logo comes up to reboot the device every 5 seconds - for over 15 minutes, but that hasn't extended the boot cycle in the least.
Oh yeah, I've also tried freezing the wretched thing to get maximum performance out of the (presumably) completely discharged battery.
I'm out of ideas. Anyone else?