I'm interested in driving a 4k display by using an eGPU.
I've acquired a Sonnet Thunderbolt ePCI expansion chassis (see here) -- which will allow me to hook 1 double width ePCI card or two single width ePCI cards to my MacBook Pro via the Thunderbolt port.
Ideally I would like to hook an nVidea based GPU to this setup and then hook it to a 4k Monitor (so I can run CUDA stuff).
My primary need is screen real estate -- I do not need to be playing games -- but I do want a crisp display. I was thinking of a Samsung 40" 4K display like this.
Would appreciate if you answer addresses the following salient points:
- Is this setup possible -- my research seem to indicate it is?
- Is it stable -- does osx have bugs that make this setup non ideal.
- Would nVidea based chip set be preferred (I also want to do CUDA stuff)
- How do I find out if an nVidea card is supported by OSX
- Any limitations on running the 4K display