Suddenly (as in, not associated with the actual update or any actual trigger that I know of), my iPhone stopped displaying any images that were associated with previous messages. All I see now are filenames and broken images, as shown in the image below.
This is infuriating.
Some things to note:
- I have tried a restart of the phone, and no difference.
- I also turned off and back on iMessage on this device, also no change.
- The images do display on my Mac and iPad. I made a smart folder on my Mac to get all images and photos under this location, and copied them out to be safe.
- Those I have shared images with still see theirs.
- Messages in Settings - General - Usage - Manage says Messages is only using 8MB, which would be really odd.
UPDATE: updated that these images do exist on other devices/machines, so it just appears that my phone lost its mind. I backed up everything just to be safe. Unsure if I should wipe my device (new one comes very soon), or not.