I am trying to reinstall an iMac but I don't have the original Apple keyboard. Instead a "regular" keyboard is attached. I can't find out how to type the "at" symbol (@). I need it to enter my Apple ID so I can download Mavericks to reinstall the sytem.

Is there any way to type it or circumvent the Apple ID login?

  • What does this "regular" keyboard look like? Is the @ symbol on shift-2? What happens if you just type shift-2?
    – jsd
    Oct 15, 2014 at 18:58
  • Shift-2 just showed '2' but your response got me thinking. It is a Logitech K120 (Belgian, AZERTY), so I changed the input language to USA, where shift-2 gives an @ indeed. Oct 15, 2014 at 19:02

2 Answers 2


Either look at the keyboard viewer:

Or google for pictures of Apple keyboards:

  • He has a Logitech Belgian azerty keyboard, which has @ at a different place than the picture of the Apple keyboard you have provided. Oct 16, 2014 at 17:33

The issue was fixed by temporary switching the input language back to USA, type shift-2 and then change it back to Belgian to proceed.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .