I was deleting a partition when my iMac froze and rebooted itself. Now I can't get any further during boot than a grey screen.
Things I have tried to fix this include:
- Booting with CMD-R (boots to a grey screen)
- Resetting the PRAM (boots to a grey screen)
- Resetting SMC (boots to a grey screen)
- Booted in target disk mode and repaired the disk. Disk repair was successful but a reboot booted to a grey screen
- Attempted to boot from an install disk but all I get is the grey screen
- Attempted to boot in Safe Mode. This gets about half way and then fails.
- CMD-V on boot shows last posted messages as:
SMCREADKEYACTION ERROR SMCREADDATA 8 FAILED
Do you think the hard drive is done even though Disk Utility said it was okay? Or is something else wrong with it?
This is a 2006 iMac 6.1.