I want to virtualize a Mac (the latest, 10.9) on my Mac (MacBook Air). I prefer to use VirtualBox. After setting up the OS X guest, I need to provide a .iso file from which VirtualBox will install OS X. Where can I (legally) get such a .iso file? My Mac didn't come with installation media so I can't just create one from a disc.
These steps assume that you already have purchased OS X 10.9 through the Mac App Store.
- Open the Mac App Store
- Press the Alt Key and hold it during the following steps
- Click at the purchased tab
- Scroll to OS X Mavericks
- Click at the Download button
- If you already have OS X Mavericks installed, you will be asked if you want to continue
- Click continue
- Now, you can release the Alt Key
To get the dmg file:
1. Go to the downloaded install application in the applications folder
2. Control+click on the installer, and choose Show Package Contents, and choose Show Package Contents.
3. Navigate to
Contents > Shared Support
4. The file you are looking for is called
If you need a
.iso file, you have to convert it using Disk Utility