So, I recently acquired an old MacbookPro (v.5,4 mid 2009). I decided to create an Arch linux partition, and thus began my adventure... While installing rEFInd (the maintained fork of rEFIt), I ended up doing the following:
- Mounted the EFI partition in /Volumes
- Moved the necessary binaries into /Volumes/.../refind/
- Messed up
- Decided to quickly start over by removing refind
- Hastily decided to rm -rf *, but did not realize I was not in /refind
- Ended up deleting everything in /Volumes/EFI/*
- ...which included APPLE/EXTENSIONS/firmware.scap
- Freaked out
- Freaked out some more because I wasn't exactly sure what I just did...
- Shutdown and rebooted, praying I wouldn't hit a brick wall
- ...and then...
- ...Everything worked find.
But I still do not have a EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/firmware.scap, so my questions are:
What is the firmware.scap? Why isn't my computer freaking out?
I've skimmed some literature on the internet, but there doesn't seem to be that much definitive information, just people giving rote directions to flash EFI firmware for those of us who have deleted it. If someone could just point me in the right direction (to learn more precisely about firmware.scap), I would be very grateful.