I'm planning to buy a new MacBook Pro for school next month, and I wanted to know if I can use Migration Assistant or any other tool to get all data from my old hard drive to the new one.

The problem is: My old MacBook doesn't work anymore and its not worth repairing it or something like that.

I took the HDD out of the notebook, and I can access it on my PC.

The OS version it contains is Lion (probably 10.7.2).

2 Answers 2


You should be able to access your hard drive like any external hard drive with a kit that can turn it into an external. Like $30 at best buy. After accessing said drive take the information that you need off of it and then you can either keep it as a back up for those files or reformat it and use it as an external hard drive.


To use Migration Assistant, make sure your PC and Mac are on the same Wi-Fi network or, for faster transfers, connect them with an Ethernet cable.

Then, on the PC, download and install the Windows Migration Assistant.

Run that app on your PC and Migration Assistant on your Mac.

Follow the prompts on both computers to transfer your data; for complete details and step-by-step instructions, see About Windows Migration Assistant on Apple’s website.

  • He does not have a Mac, just a hard drive from a Mac. However if you put the HD in an external case you can use Migration assistant on your new Mac to transfer files, settings and apps. Jul 31, 2014 at 15:27
  • @SteveChambers QUOTE: I'm planning to buy a new MacBook Pro EOQ.
    – Ruskes
    Jul 31, 2014 at 15:32
  • hence the part, "on your new Mac to transfer..." Aug 1, 2014 at 16:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .