I have a
MacBook5,1 running 10.8, and an
Asus VW246 monitor.
I connected it to the monitor using a "MiniDisplayPort->DVI(f) adapter" + a "DVI(m)-DVI(m) cable". Now I've bought a single "MiniDisplayPort-HDMI cable", and while it works, now when the Mac goes to sleep, the monitor stays awake in a "HDMI no signal" state.
Can I understand who's at fault: the Mac, the cable or the monitor?
- If it's the Mac, can this be worked-around somehow?
- If it's the cable, how can I make sure this won't happen with other cables?
- If it's the monitor I don't think there is anything to fix that, barring using DVI again.
- the only reason I switched to HDMI is that I wanted a single cable, no converters, and I found a cheap HDMI one
- the cable namely supports audio too, but apparently this isn't working with this monitor – I haven't tested it with other monitors, thought (I'm not sure if this can help, I'm writing it "just in case")
- the "HDMI no signal" state is the same as when there's no cable attached