- MBP (Early 2011) (15")
- OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
- No external displays connected
Chain of events
- Discrete GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6490M) goes bust [REF-1]
- I managed to avoid the problem by disabling all GPU drivers to force system use of integrated drivers (intel)
- Since the GPU failure, my system has seemingly begun to treat the built in 1440x900 screen as an external display - this is what I want to fix
- This is preventing me from using to GfxCardStatus.app to enforce integrated graphics mode (as the external display is apparently treated as a discrete GPU dependency)
- For various reason I'd like to stop the system from attempting to harness the discrete GPU
Key question: How can I make OSX treat the built-in display as such, thereby allowing me to enforce integrated-only graphics?
[REF-1] Apparently a widespread issue, lots of MBP 2011s discrete GPUs are frying around this time of year as a result of manufacturing faults. Google 'MBP 2011 GPU failure' for more information.