I have a bootable partition on an external drive with some old data that I want to move to a new external hard drive. The partition on the old drive is 500GB however theres only 320GB of data. So i want to keep the partition bootable and resize it so that I don't have 180GB wasted on my new hard drive. How can I do this with disk utility?

  • Apple/Mac has something called Migration Assistant already installed in your Utility folder.
    – Ruskes
    Jul 8, 2014 at 11:04

1 Answer 1


I think most disk imaging utilities will do what you are looking to achieve. Try Partition Magic or Macrium Reflect. In fact I know for sure that Partition Magic will automatically estimate the needed and resize the space as needed based on the original hard disk (and its partition) and the destination disk.

  • Are these software suggestions OS X software?
    – Dean
    Jul 8, 2014 at 10:05
  • Hi Dean, no. As far as I know they are PC tools. For Mac use the built-in Migration Assistant as suggested by Buscar above.
    – jDonMas
    Jul 16, 2014 at 14:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .