I am having trouble using iMessage with one of my contacts. I can send messages to iPhones without any issues. My contact's phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
iMessage only works between apple devices. If you were using an iPhone it would be able to use SMS instead of iMessage when the other person has a non iOS device, but since you are using an iPad you can't contact them.
It's because iMessage only works through Apple devices; not other companies text messaging
You can SMS from iPad to any mobile device that supports SMS
- create Google Account
- enable Google Voice free account and set up your Google Voice number
- download and install Google Voice - iPhone app, looks ugly, so you may want to:
- enable Text message to email
- enable Google Voice Voicemail
- enable Google Voice Voicemail Transcriptions and while doing that, also:
- enable eMail Delivery of Voicemail Transcriptions: Next to "Voicemail Notifications", check the box next to eMail the message to and select an eMail address to receive your voicemail transcriptions via email
- sync your contacts with Google
Now you can either use the Google Voice app for SMS, or Apple Mail, once first receiving an SMS, just reply like its an eMail. Messages longer than 166 characters get truncated rather turning into 2 SMS messages for eMailing SMS delivery only (the app behavior is different).