Automator would seem to the appropriative tool, but ehmac.ca is stumped and so has this board been so far — my "Automator Newbie" question asked yesterday (my first ever on this site). Two sticking points — changing the .tiff extension to .tif, and losing the Alpha option.
The problem to be solved is prepping a large collection of edited scanned text files in tif format and getting them ready for processing by the OCR app TesseractGUI 0.3. This OCR app balks at TIF files with an extension of .tiff, also balks at Alpha within the file format.
Here's the manual routine I've been using.
- Open the file in Preview.
- From the File menu choose the Export command.
- Click in the file name field and delete the second "F".
- Uncheck the Alpha option.
- Click the Save button.
- In the next dialogue choose the "Replace" option.
- Close the window.
- Rinse and repeat with the next file in the list.
- Exit when all files have been prepped.