If I want to test or use default Microsoft fonts on my Mac, and I own a post-2006 copy of Windows or Office, I believe I can legally use Calibri and Cambria although IANAL. This would be especially helpful when collaborating with colleagues using Office products like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Right now, I get a warning like: "Calibri not found. Trebuchet MS used instead." Where can I find them?
To find and install default Microsoft fonts on a Mac:
- Navigate HERE in your browser.
- Download the .ZIP file.
- Unzip it (double-click it).
- Open the folder that appears.
- Select all the .TTF files inside the folder.
- With the files selected, right-click.
- From the pop-up menu, choose "open with → Font Book".
- Click "Install Font" for each font.
Note: Changes to fonts take effect when an application is opened or a user logs in to the account or computer on which the changes occurred, see support.apple.com.
If you have local Microsoft Word installation, say in
/Applications, you can find the fonts in the directory below:
Please also checkout if there's a
DFonts directory if not
Fonts due to recent changes.
The same applies to probably other office apps as well. Then you can copy the fonts to:
Use the official Fonts distributed by Microsoft
If you have installed any Microsoft product, there is a chance you already have all Microsoft Fonts in your Mac.
For instance, the path to the fonts of MS Word is:
Using terminal, you can copy any font to your font folder:
Below, the step-by-step instruction in case you are not familiar with terminal:
- Open Finder and go to the Applications Folder (SHIFT+CMD+A)
- Locate MS Word or MS Excel or MS PowerPoint.
- Right-click and select
Show Package Content.
- In Finder navigate through
You will see all the installed MS Fonts.
- Drag and Drop (press the Option key) the desired fonts to your Desktop (or any other user folder).
You must press the option key to create a copy of the fonts and not a link.
- Select (in your Desktop) the fonts to install. Right-click and then
The "Font Book" Application will check the fonts and probably it will give you some warnings.
- Select the fonts in Font Book app and click Install.
- Delete the extra copies you have in the Desktop.
Do not try to install right from the application package or you will receive a fatal error. That is why in 5. you must make a copy to some user folder (ex. your Desktop)