This bell icon showed up in my menu bar one day and there's no obvious way to disable it. How do I get rid of it?
edit: The option described below has been removed from Chrome. This should void the question as well as my answer.
In the Chrome Menu Bar under "Chrome -> Hide Notification Icon" you can get rid of the bell without having to go through flags (which doesn't work/exist any more!). It's the Option one from the bottom (I found the information in a comment on osxdaily):
Google has buried this option in a very hard-to-find location.
- Visit chrome://flags/#enable-google-now in Chrome.app
- Visit chrome://flags/#notification-center-tray-behavior in Chrome.app
- Change both settings to Disabled. (They're probably on Default currently.)
(NOTE: this used to be chrome://flags/#enable-rich-notifications)
This seems to have changed to
I would make a comment instead of a new answer but I require 50 rep for that.
Chrome for OS X v35.0.1916.114, "Enable Rich Notifications Mac, Windows" has changed to "Notification Center behavior Mac" and is still located in chrome://flags
It seems like Google Chrome after v 47.0.2526.73 no longer has the Notification center (bell).
It worked for me by simply locating the file (mine was in the download folder) and deleting it. The key is to locate the incomplete file.
Some solutions here appear to be outdated.
Good answer is available here:
For Chrome (Version 35.0.1916.114), all you have to do is click on the bell to open the dialog box and then simply click on the bell with the line through it to toggle it on and off. It disables the notifications, but doesn't remove the bell, so it solves part of the problem, that you said there was "no easy way to disable it".
It's easy. In Chrome 35.0.1916.153 m:
- Go to chrome://flags in the address bar and uncheck the Enable Rich Notifications Windows, Chrome OS and Google Now
- Google Updates has to be turned off (search for instructions on how to do this on OS X)
- In the firewall block all traffic for Google Updater
- Click on the bell icon,
- Click on the Settings tab,
- Then uncheck "Google Now"