All 4 cores maxed out. Mac noticeably lagging.
(Reveals wildly contradictory information.)
- Closed all applications
- Opened Activity Monitor
- Totaled all Process ID activity and noticed that all processes listed (including activity monitor and finder) only add up to about 10-20% CPU usage, BUT ALL 4 CORES ARE STILL REDLINED/MAXED OUT.
Activity monitor also says that:
- User Usage is < 5%
- System Usage is almost steady at 85% (yet no PID's show significant CPU use)
- Idle 10%
The system in question is running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion). (I'm writing from another machine.)
Three Part Question:
- HOW CAN WE STOP THIS BEHAVIOR?
- Why is the total CPU usage drastically different from the PID list total?
- (BONUS) Why isn't there any system PID showing up that correlates with the 85% system usage?