I have a Samsung 213T LCD, with a native resolution of 1600x1200, that worked great as an external monitor, using a DisplayPort VGA adapter, with my 2009 13" MacBook Pro through several OSX releases.
I recently upgraded to a 2013 15" rMBP with Mavericks... and it can't properly detect the monitor, and never shows 1600x1200 as a resolution option.
Things I've tried that haven't helped:
- the 'detect displays' button that appears when holding [option] in 'system-preferences' -> 'display'
- holding [option] when choosing the 'scaled' radio button (it shows more resolution options - but still not the 1600x1200 native)
- resetting PRAM/NVRAM
- both off-brand (monoprice) and Apple VGA DisplayPort adapters
- changing the built-in retina display resolution (to perhaps free video memory)
- the free 'Display Menu' app in the Mac App Store
None have helped.
I wasn't expecting a regression in the ability to drive modest external monitors in the 2015 MBP/Mavericks.
Is there any way to restore this previously-reliable external-display function to my latest & greatest Mac?