I have a 2007 aluminium iMac which I upgraded months ago to Mavericks. Today it locked up and I held the power button to shut it down and cannot get it to start again. I get the flashing folder ? icon on boot which I understand means the boot drive is not found.
- I tried Safe Mode (Shift after the boot sound) : nothing happened (grey screen)
- I tried Single User mode (cmd+S after boot sound) : nothing happened
- I tried recovery mode (cmd+R after the boot sound) : nothing
- I tried booting with the option key, nothing.
- I tried target disk mode with cmd+T, and it seemed to work in that it showed a different icon. However, I realized that I can't connect my new 2013 macbook to it because the latter does not have a firewire port (is there another way)
- I also tried disconnecting everything, including the keyboard and mouse (I have bt keyboard and a usb one so I tried both, plus mouse and trackpad, tried both)
- I tried reseting the PRAM and that other reset (where you unplug for 15s)
- Finally I scrounged out my old installation disk (Leopard) and booted Installation disk 1. When it came up, I went to Utilities in the menu and selected Disk Utility.
So far so good, but Disk Utility does not show my internal HDD, so I can't verify or repair it. It does show my time machine drive connected by firewire, and of course it shows the DVD installation disk.
What do I try next? Given this happened the way it did if there is disk corruption I think it should be minor and reparable. But right now I don't even know if I'd be able to restore a new OS.